- What is "personal information"?
- The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) currently defines "personal information" as meaning information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
- What information do we collect?
The kind of personal information that we collect from you will depend on how you use the website. The personal information which we collect and hold about you may include your name, postal address, telephone numbers, email address, other contact details, payment history and photographs.
- How we collect your personal information
- We may collect personal information from you whenever you input such information into the website.
- Purpose of collection
- The purpose for which we collect personal information is to provide you with the best service experience possible on the website.
- We customarily disclose personal information only to our service providers who assist us in operating the website. Your personal information may also be exposed from time to time to maintenance and support personnel acting in the normal course of their duties.
- By using our website, you consent to the receipt of direct marketing material. We will only use your personal information for this purpose if we have collected such information direct from you, and if it is material of a type which you would reasonably expect to receive from use. We do not use sensitive personal information in direct marketing activity. Our direct marketing material will include a simple means by which you can request not to receive further communications of this nature.
- Access and correction
- Australian Privacy Principle 12 permits you to obtain access to the personal information we hold about you in certain circumstances, and Australian Privacy Principle 13 allows you to correct inaccurate personal information subject to certain exceptions. If you would like to obtain such access, please contact us as set out below.
- Complaint procedure
If you have a complaint concerning the manner in which we maintain the privacy of your personal information, please contact us as set out below. All complaints will be considered by our complaints department at firstname.lastname@example.org and we may seek further information from you to clarify your concerns. If we agree that your complaint is well founded, we will, in consultation with you, take appropriate steps to rectify the problem. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
- Overseas transfer
Your personal information will not be disclosed to recipients outside Australia unless you expressly request us to do so. If you request us to transfer your personal information to an overseas recipient, the overseas recipient will not be required to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles and we will not be liable for any mishandling of your information in such circumstances.
- Link to other sites
- Storage and security
We have security protocols to safeguard personal information you share with us against loss, theft and misuse, as well as against unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of the personal information under our control. We will retain your personal information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes and as permitted by applicable law. We will destroy or de-identify any information that we no longer require. Please note however that the internet is not a secure environment and although care is taken we cannot guarantee the security of information provided to it via electronic means. Where it has been determined under the Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Bill 2016 that an eligible data breach event has occurred, we will notify you with all information pertaining to the event as soon as reasonably possible.
- How to contact us about privacy
If you have any queries, or if you seek access to your personal information, or if you have a complaint about our privacy practices, you can contact us on email@example.com or (08) 8362 6135.